Monday, March 16, 2009

Say Hey!

I was 8 years old when I saw my first major league baseball game. 1965 Giants vs. Cardinals at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. I don't remember too much of it, but I do have the program that has the pitching match-up as Juan Marichal against Bob Gibson, so it must have been a low scoring game. A vivid memory I do have from the game is Willie Mays hitting a pop fly that went unbelievably high and everyone gasped. After the game, we went down to the Cardinals dugout and I remember being shocked to see men with 5 o'clock shadows in uniform (instead of kids). It had been a kids' game for me up until then and I don't know why I was so amazed. I always liked Willie.

1 comment:

POBC said...

Very cool idea ... In my opinion Willie Mays may just be the second greatest player ever...behind Babe Ruth.Keep upthe great work, I'll be checking back to see next week's card.