Tuesday, April 7, 2009

22

I loved to watch Jim Palmer pitch with his long stretch of a delivery. I believe this 1966 edition was his rookie card. My fondest memory of Jim Palmer doesn't come from the field (or his underwear ad). It was after he retired and he was doing Oriole television commentary. After a late game in Memorial Stadium, I had waited about half an hour for the crowd to clear before heading home and I was walking down the long concrete ramps from the upper deck to the parking lot and looked to my right and there was Jim Palmer! The two of us slowly walked down the ramps in the hot summer night and he looked happy, carefree and at peace and so cool in his jacket and tie despite the humidity. I didn't bother him or speak to him. He had finished his work and was heading home like everyone else that night.

No comments: